Caring for the World We Live in…And Working for a Better Community
If you’re an average American, you produce 4.4. pounds of trash every single day, significantly more than the global average of 2.6 pounds. Adopt-A-Road is a volunteer program that provides a way to involve residents and businesses in caring for our highway roadsides. Through the program, volunteers pledge to keep specified/adopted roads free of litter at least twice a year, leading to a better, cleaner environment.
For the past three years, John Henry Foster (JHF) has been involved with this program. This spring, six employees; Matt Mensen, Will Hill, James Kirk, Bobbi Longley, Clark Oster and Larry Batterson – volunteered to clean up a designated portion of road near JHF.
Interesting moments surrounding the project;
- The project cleanup took 40 minutes.
- Volunteers were invited to leave work early because they showed up before work hours to help.
- All the volunteers agreed that the best part of helping is working in a group and interacting with others you wouldn’t normally see. And it was nice to talk about other things rather than work.
- One comment for future volunteers is to bring a second pair of shoes and socks because you never know what you might step in!
- When asked why they got involved, volunteers all came back with similar answers including;
- “Wanting to do something good for themselves”
- “Making an impact in our community”
- “Being part of something that would have a positive outcome on JHF”
- and “Helping to clean the environment”
This is an easy, yet effective way to directly impact your community. Volunteers helped MnDOT realize an estimated $6 million benefit in 2017 (http://www.dot.state.mn.us/adopt/) and that number is expected to climb even more in 2018!
For 80 years, John Henry Foster has been a leading distributor of Industrial Air Compressor Systems and Electrical, Robotic and Pneumatic Automation solutions serving clients in Minnesota, Wisconsin, North Dakota, South Dakota and northern Iowa. We are known for providing mobile service, maintenance, air system audits and design of electro-pneumatic and compressed air flow controls.